During the winter, butternut squash soup is a popular choice, especially if you have fresh squash from your garden. Although there isn’t an exact recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup, here is a list of ingredients to use as a starting point for your own experimentation. You’ll need butternut squash, apples, yellow onion, garlic cloves, thyme, chicken or vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. For garnish, consider using sliced and seared crimini mushrooms, pomegranate seeds, balsamic vinegar, crème fraîche, and roasted apple pieces. Simply dice, roast, and puree the ingredients, then serve with the garnish for a flavorful and comforting soup.
During the winter, we always have butternut squash in our basement from the garden. Meaning, various types of butternut squash soups are made during soup season! I don’t have an exact recipe for the Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup, but I have a list of what I used to give you a baseline to experiment for yourself! It should have a sweet and savory flavor profile.
Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
Apples, Diced and seeded (I used @thecosmiccrisp apples)
Yellow Onion, peeled and diced
Garlic Cloves, peeled
Chicken or Vegetable stock
Salt and Pepper
Crimini Mushrooms, sliced and seared
Balsamic Vinegar (I like @carandinius balsamic for the drizzle)
Créme Fraîche (@bellwetherfarms makes incredible créme fraîche)
Roasted Apple Pieces
1. Dice squash, apple, onion, and garlic. Toss with oil, salt, and pepper and roast until tender and lightly browned. Set aside a few roasted apple pieces for garnishing.
2. Puree roasted items with stock and thyme until desired consistency and flavor. Season to taste.
3. Slice mushrooms and sear until browned on both sides in an oiled pan. Season with salt.
4. Serve Soup with a garnish of mushrooms, pomegranate seeds, crème fraÎche, roasted apple, and balsamic vinegar.
#Soup #recipe #souprecipe #glutenfreesoup #glutenfreerecipe ##butternutsquash #butternutsquashsoup #foodphotography #foodstyling #foodie #oregon #oregonphotographer #farmfreshfood #eatlocal #f52 #food52community #cozyfood #soupseason Source
During the winter season, when our basement is filled with freshly harvested butternut squash from the garden, we love to prepare a variety of delicious butternut squash soups. One of our favorites is the Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup. Although I don’t have an exact recipe to share, I can provide you with a list of ingredients and instructions that will serve as a starting point for you to experiment and create your own flavorful version of this soup.
- 1 Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 Apples, diced and seeded (I used @thecosmiccrisp apples)
- 1 Yellow Onion, peeled and diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, peeled
- A few sprigs of Thyme
- Chicken or Vegetable stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Crimini Mushrooms, sliced and seared
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Balsamic Vinegar (I recommend @carandinius balsamic for the drizzle)
- Créme Fraîche (Try the incredible créme fraîche from @bellwetherfarms)
- Roasted Apple Pieces
1. Start by dicing the butternut squash, apples, onion, and garlic. Toss them with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. Roast the mixture in the oven until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Remember to set aside a few pieces of roasted apple for garnishing later.
2. Once the roasted ingredients have cooled down slightly, transfer them to a blender or food processor. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and a few sprigs of thyme. Blend the mixture until you achieve your desired consistency and flavor. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper according to your taste preferences.
3. In a separate pan, slice the crimini mushrooms and sear them until they turn brown on both sides. Sprinkle some salt over the mushrooms to enhance their flavor.
4. Now it’s time to serve the soup! Ladle the roasted butternut squash and apple soup into bowls and garnish each serving with the seared mushrooms, pomegranate seeds, a dollop of crème fraîche, the reserved roasted apple pieces, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
This delightful soup is the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors. The roasted butternut squash and apple create a creamy base, while the garnishes add a touch of freshness and texture. It’s a comforting and nourishing dish that will warm you up during the colder months.
Feel free to get creative with this recipe! You can add your favorite herbs or spices for extra depth of flavor. Additionally, you can customize the garnishes to your liking, using ingredients such as toasted nuts, crispy bacon, or a sprinkle of grated cheese.
So the next time you find yourself with an abundance of butternut squash, give this Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup a try. It’s a simple yet satisfying recipe that will surely become a staple in your winter soup repertoire. Enjoy!